- 1 What is a UAE citizenship?
- 2 Ways to get UAE citizenship
- 3 Persons eligible for UAE citizenship
- 4 UAE citizenship requirements and rules
- 4.1 UAE citizenship by naturalization requirements
- 4.2 emirati citizenship to investors requirements
- 4.3 Additional requirements for Dubai citizenship
- 4.4 Is it hard to get citizenship in UAE?
- 4.5 Can foreigners get citizenship in UAE?
- 4.6 How can I get permanent citizenship in Dubai?
- 4.7 Can expats get Dubai citizenship?
- 4.8 Can a foreigner get a UAE passport?
- 4.9 Is it easy to get UAE citizenship?
- 4.10 Why is obtaining UAE citizenship challenging?
- 4.11 Does the UAE provide dual nationality?
Among all the Arab countries, the United Arab Emirates is the most developed country and the most popular destination for visitors and tourists from all over the world. The number of people traveling to the Emirates is multiplying year after year due to job opportunities, the comfortable nature of life, and the fact that the country is safe and suitable for living and stability with the family.
Because of that, obtaining UAE citizenship has become an essential and obligatory thing for everyone who wants to settle down and spend the rest of his life with his family in this country. The first and most important thing to know about the UAE citizenship is the UAE citizenship requirements, and who are the people who can apply for UAE citizenship.
What is a UAE citizenship?
UAE citizenship means the legal status of any person who is a citizen of the United Arab Emirates, as it allows him to obtain certain rights and privileges that are not granted to non-Emirati citizens or to those who do not have Emirati nationality. The most important perk available is:
- The ability to vote.
- Protection under the laws of the United Arab Emirates.
- And the ability to access government services.
However, obtaining the citizenship of the UAE is not as easy as some imagine, as there are specific cases and specific requirements for obtaining UAE citizenship, such as marriage and childbirth in the Emirates UAE, and other cases. The UAE government has also issued a new law that grants UAE citizenship to talented individuals from various fields who have made amazing achievements for the country.
Ways to get UAE citizenship
The way one can obtain UAE citizenship is through the courts of rulers, crown princes, and the Offices of the Executive Councils and the Cabinet based on the nominations of federal entities. It is also possible through 4 methods to obtain Emirati citizenship Through ( marriage, birth, investment or merits), and each of these methods has conditions that must be met to complete the naturalization procedures.
UAE citizenship for foreigners by marriage
If a national of any gender wishes to marry a foreigner, he must initially obtain approval from the United Arab Emirates Court to marry, but the aforementioned stranger is required to have a UAE residence visa with a clean medical record and without any criminal record. The ability to speak fluent Arabic is important but the practiced religion is not important in this matter if it is agreed by both parties, but the age of one of the parties should not exceed twice the age of the other.
However, a foreign man who marries an Emirati woman cannot acquire the UAE citizenship, in contrast to the marriage of a foreign woman to an Emirati man, where she can acquire the Emirati nationality when:
- Having a child in 7 years.
- Or within 10 years without having a child.
Availability of UAE citizenship By descent
Many people wonder about whether it is possible to obtain UAE citizenship by birth, and it is, in fact, possible, but being born on the land of the United Arab Emirates is not sufficient to obtain the citizenship of the United Arab Emirates, as the citizen must be a descendent of the following categories:
- To be a member of an old Arab family settled for a long time in the United Arab Emirates and stayed from 1925 until 1972.
- Born to an Emirati father residing in the country or abroad.
- From an Emirati mother inside or outside the country without a legally registered father.
- The parents are unknown, i.e. he was born in the UAE without family.
UAE citizenship by naturalization
Previously, citizenship could be granted to an ethnic Arab settler of good character with no criminal record, high academic achievement and a regular source of income. However, with the recent updates of the laws on naturalization, holders of a UAE residence visa can obtain UAE citizenship regardless of ethnicity.
UAE Citizenship requirements for those with exceptional merits
Previously, UAE nationality was restricted to blood, but the latest law issued regarding naturalization and passports included granting citizenship to those who have exceptional merits such as (doctors, inventors, investors, scientists..etc).
Citizenship By investment
High net worth individuals can obtain a residency visa by investing in UAE property. The period of validity of the residence visa that can be obtained varies according to the value of the investment. The minimum investment allows obtaining a residence visa valid for two years, and the maximum investment in the United Arab Emirates enables the investor to obtain a residence visa valid for a period of 10 years.
Persons eligible for UAE citizenship
The laws related to Dubia citizenship of the UAE in general change day after day, thus increasing the chance of obtaining UAE citizenship. The following categories are those who are allowed to acquire the emiratis nationality of the UAE if the conditions and uae citizenship requirements for each of them are met, and they are:
- Foreign investors.
- specialist Doctors.
- People with creative skills.
It is known that foreign nationals who marry UAE citizens are entitled to obtain UAE citizenship.
Eligibility conditions for foreigners interested in UAE/Dubai citizenship
Categories who are eligible to grant citizenship of the uae must first meet some basic conditions in order to be able to naturalize with Dubai nationality, and the most important conditions are the following:
- It is obligatory for the investor to own real estate in the United Arab Emirates.
- The doctor must be a specialist in a specialty that has high demand in the UAE and has practical experience of not less than 10 years and well-known and prestigious scientific qualifications and contributions in his specialty.
- Intellectuals must be pioneers in the field of art and have received at least one international award and a letter of recommendation from the relevant government.
- The inventor must have at least one patent recommended by the UAE Ministry of Economy (MOE) and a letter of recommendation from the Ministry of Education.
- The scientist must be an active researcher, whether in the university or private centers, and has at least 10 years of experience and a letter of recommendation from the recognised scientific institution in the uae.
UAE citizenship requirements and rules
The most important UAE citizenship requirements according to the 2023 dubai citizenship rules are:
- Ownership of property in the UAE is a mandatory requirement for a foreign investor, and the minimum value of the invested property must be one million UAE dirhams.
- Specialist doctors must have at least 10 years of practice experience, and their specialty is highly demanded in the country.
- 10 years of experience is also required for scientists.
- Inventors must have one patent certified by the UAE Ministry of Economy.
- Innovators and intellectuals must receive at least one international award.
UAE citizenship by naturalization requirements
Like any other country, the UAE allows those who have resided and settled there for a period of time to obtain Emirati citizenship. However, not all people are eligible for Emirati naturalization and have the right to apply for citizenship. Most travelers and foreigners come to Dubai or to any emirate of the 7 Emirates in order to work and settle in it, and if the period of years legally lived in the UAE exceeds 30 years, then they become eligible to possess the nationality of the UAE.
emirati citizenship to investors requirements
- The foreign investor must be at least 18 years old.
- Valid uae passport.
- Met all uae visa requirements.
- He does not have any criminal record.
- His medical record is clean and free from diseases such as tuberculosis and hepatitis.
- The partner is entitled to obtain a residence visa if he meets the same requirements.
- A two-year residence visa can include children under the age of 18.
- Residence visa for 10 years includes a son under 25 years old and a daughter of any age.
It may intrest you: “UAE Geography: A Comprehensive Guide
Additional requirements for Dubai citizenship
There is also some Additional conditions that must be adhered to to have a uae citizenship, most important rules in 2023 are:
- UAE citizenship requirements include swearing the oath of allegiance to the United Arab Emirates.
- Abide by the laws of the state.
- Inform the UAE government of your gaining or losing any other nationality.
- Any breach or violation of these conditions shall withdraw the uae citizenship from its owner without objection.
You can also read: “UAE Climate: Everything You Need to Know“
Is it hard to get citizenship in UAE?
Getting citizenship in the UAE is not easy. The UAE government does not grant citizenship to foreigners easily. Citizenship is only granted to those who have made significant contributions to the country or have been married to a UAE citizen for a certain period of time and did all uae citizenship requirements. Most expatriates in the UAE hold residency visas and are not eligible for citizenship.
Can foreigners get citizenship in UAE?
Yes, foreigners can obtain citizenship in the UAE through a process called naturalization. However, the criteria for naturalization are strict and not many people are granted citizenship. The UAE government has not disclosed the exact requirements for naturalization, but it is believed that applicants must have lived in the country for a certain number of years, have a clean criminal record, be proficient in Arabic language and Islamic culture, and make significant contributions to the country’s economy or society.
How can I get permanent citizenship in Dubai?
There are several ways to obtain long-term residency in Dubai, including:
Investment: You can obtain a long-term residency visa by investing in Dubai’s real estate market or by starting a business in the country.
Employment: If you have a job offer from a company in Dubai, you can obtain a work visa that allows you to live and work in the country.
Family sponsorship: If you have family members who are citizens or residents of Dubai, they can sponsor your residency visa.
Retirement: If you are over 55 years old and meet certain financial requirements, you can obtain a retirement visa that allows you to live in Dubai.
It is important to note that all residency visas in Dubai are subject to renewal and may be revoked if the holder violates any of the country’s laws or regulations.
In addition, you must meet the criteria and do all uae citizenship requirements
Can expats get Dubai citizenship?
No, expats cannot get Dubai citizenship. The United Arab Emirates (UAE), of which Dubai is a part, does not offer citizenship to foreigners. However, expats can obtain long-term residency visas and enjoy many benefits of living and working in Dubai.
Can a foreigner get a UAE passport?
No, a foreigner cannot get a UAE passport. Only UAE citizens are eligible for a UAE passport. However, foreigners can apply for residency visas and work permits in the UAE.
Is it easy to get UAE citizenship?
No, it is not easy to get UAE citizenship. The UAE does not offer citizenship to foreigners, except in rare cases where it is granted by the President of the UAE as an exceptional gesture. In general, foreigners can only obtain residency permits through employment, investment, or family sponsorship. However, the government has recently introduced a long-term visa program that allows certain categories of investors and professionals to stay in the country for up to 10 years without a sponsor.
Why is obtaining UAE citizenship challenging?
Obtaining UAE citizenship is challenging because the country does not have a formal citizenship program. The UAE government grants citizenship only to those born to Emirati parents or those who have been married to an Emirati for at least 10 years. Additionally, the government has strict uae citizenship requirements, including a minimum residency period of 30 years, fluency in Arabic, and passing a series of tests. The government also reserves the right to reject any application without providing a reason. As a result, obtaining UAE citizenship is extremely difficult and rare.
Does the UAE provide dual nationality?
No, the UAE does not provide dual nationality. According to the UAE government, a person can only hold one nationality at a time. If a person acquires another nationality, they must renounce their UAE citizenship. However, the UAE does allow for long-term residency visas for foreign nationals who meet certain criteria.
Because of the benefits of uae citizenship, many people have a strong desire to obtain one, but Obtaining the citizenship of the UAE is not as easy as some might imagine. The UAE citizenship requirements are many and complex, as all conditions and laws must be met to acquire it. But with time, new updates and laws are issued regarding the issue of uae naturalization, and this opens the door to many opportunities for many who wish to visit the uae and settle in the country and become citizens of it.